The organizers of the Montreal International Auto Show (MIAS) have announced the cancellation of the virtual edition scheduled from January 20 to 24, 2021, which previously replaced the in-person show at the Palais des congrès de Montréal from January 15 to 24, 2021.
The MIAS wanted to reinvent itself, propose an innovative technological solution incorporating augmented reality, and maintain its presence in January, in the hopes of maintaining this traditional event despite the absence of the in-person event.
“We have been working hand in hand for several weeks with the OEM’s and the virtual platform supplier, to create a model event and implement a state-of-the-art project, which would have been a first of its kind in North America. All efforts were put in place to ensure a good participation, and a unique customer journey for a virtual automotive event,” said Luis Pereira, executive director of the MIAS. “We also took the initiative to collaborate with our fellow Canadian auto shows to replicate this same virtual experience across Canada, using one-unique platform for all shows, and help reduce the cost of content creation for exhibitors.”
“The pandemic has certainly not spared the automotive industry, the non-participation of a large number of car manufacturers in this edition, despite our best efforts; we are faced with the tough decision to cancel the virtual show. We are well aware, through our communications with manufacturers, that they are going through a difficult period, mostly related to the Coronavirus and its financial consequences, and that they are therefore seeking to limit their expenses,” said Denis Dessureault, executive vice-president.