A leading U.K. marketing magazine has given Volvo its inaugural Best us of Facebook award at the DigiAwards.
CorpComms recognized the automaker for its Facebook communications related to the brand’s Geneva Motor Show appearance ad the Crash Test Centre 10th anniversary campaigns.
“This prestigious award is very encouraging for Volvo Cars' PR team and our partner, OgilvyPR. We aim to exceed the expectations at every event and this award is a great confirmation that we are on the right track,” said Peter Ganjbar, Volvo Cars manager broadcast and social media relations.
According to the DigiAward jury, Volvo’s flexible approach that included on-the-spot ideas like competitions and direct responses to fan enquires helped turn the Facebook page into a success.
“The ability to report live and creatively interact with the community paid dividends in community feedback and fan numbers with OPR noting a significant increase in Facebook interactions on the Volvo fan page,” the jury said.
Ganjbar said the key to success was timely distribution of content, which included quick polls, videos and interviews.
Facts & Figures from the Volvo Facebook “take-over” activity in 2010:
* Each launch day 4,038 and 2,265 interactions were respectively achieved, 6.5x the previous high for the Volvo fan page.
* Comments 8x higher than the highest previous peak of activity.
* Content generated on the Crash Test Lab anniversary alone was viewed 2,877,143 times
* Key executives used to respond directly to questions from the community.
* Generated Facebook content was re-used by Volvo internal communications to provide rapid updates from the Geneva Motor Show to the corporate intranet.
* A single post alone generated 940 individual comments from within the community in two hours.
* Volvo Facebook page activity at Volvo Crash Test Centre became a national news story in Sweden.